By immersing students in the joy and power of poetry and literary self-expression, InsideOut inspires them to think broadly, create bravely and share their voices with the wider world. Guided by professional writers and celebrated by publications and performances, youth learn that their stories and ideas matter and that their pens can launch them off the page into extraordinary lives.
Experiencing the passion and transforming power of the written word will become an essential part of every child’s education.
Core beliefs and convictions:
- The teaching of self-expression through poetry empowers and transforms people’s lives.
- Creativity exists in every individual and every individual’s story deserves to be told.
- Nurturing an individual’s creativity benefits society as a whole.
- Exposure to poetry and creative writing inspires broader intellectual curiosity.
- Every student is worthy of experiencing self-expression through the literary arts.
- Participation in the literary arts gives students a voice that transcends geographic and socioeconomic barriers.
- When students’ creativity is publicly celebrated, their self-esteem and confidence are greatly enhanced.
- Participation in a writing class helps students learn to know and appreciate one another’s differences and similarities.
Within the classroom, the children:
- Enjoy the power of reading and writing
- Learn basic literacy skills
- Enhance critical and analytical abilities
- Exercise their creativity, imagination, and originality
- Engage in an individual dialogue with the writer-in-residence
- Become active members of a community of writers
- Revise and edit their stories and poems in preparation for publication
- Evaluate and celebrate their accomplishments over the course of the 25-week residency
Through this program, the teachers:
- Expand their approaches to teaching writing through observing and participating in InsideOut classroom activities
- Gain confidence as writers themselves
- Gain personal understanding of the subtleties of writing and being a sponsoring teacher through Teacher Writing Workshops
- Form strong ties to like-minded teachers to provide support and share discoveries.