InsideOut’s Brainstorm Summer Arts Institute is a week-long deep dive into creative writing and critical thinking. The topic for this year is Detroit History. Students will be provided with a writing packet including a personal journal and a selection of books chosen by esteemed facilitators LaShaun phoenix Moore and Nadine Marshall. Genres will include poetry, prose, songwriting, and improv. Through these methods, students will discover the artists of color who helped shape Detroit’s legacy, reflect on their communities, and create their own writing to be published in an online anthology of youth work.
This program is FREE and open to students entering 7th-9th grade in the fall of 2021.
Brainstorm Summer Arts Institute features
- Creativity Kits (mailed to all participants) including personal writing journals, poetry books, and multi-sensory materials
- Hands-on activities and performance opportunities
- Interactive connections to music and visual arts
- Virtual experiences with historic Detroit locations
- Guided opportunities for independent, outdoor engagement
REGISTRATION EXTENDED: The registration deadline has been extended from May 22nd to May 27th, 2021. Following this date, students may register for the waitlist and will be notified if space becomes available.
This program is made possible by