If you are a writer interested in inspiring young people to become more confident and creative writers—to find the poetry and stories inside themselves—then please keep reading.
Since its founding in 1995 by former Detroit Public School teacher Dr. Terry Blackhawk, InsideOut Literary Arts has inspired students to think broadly, create bravely, and share their voices with the wider world. Guided by accomplished writers and spoken word artists who teach from the practitioner’s expert point of view, students learn the craft of writing and experience the satisfaction of becoming published authors through a range of creative writing programming in classrooms, after school and in community settings.
InsideOut uplifts youth voice by engaging students in the joy and power of poetry. In our weekly in-school and afterschool programming, our Writers-in-Residence help youth discover and amplify their voices through creative writing, performance opportunities, and the publication of literary journals. Evaluations show that InsideOut has a statistically significant impact on students’ classroom achievement, self-efficacy, enthusiasm for reading and writing, willingness to revise, understanding of narrative structures, creative use of language, and more. InsideOut Writers-in-Residence serve as Teaching Artists who:
- Develop and teach engaging writing workshops that honor student voice in the writing process. Lessons explore a variety of themes, address elements of craft and form, and expose students to the work of a diverse array of contemporary and classical authors.
- Consult with classroom teachers to enhance curricular goals.
- Respond to student writing, and assist with transcribing and revising student work for publication.
- Attend orientation and professional development training during the course of the year.
- Track weekly student attendance and regularly report on classroom plans and student outcomes.
- Share information regarding InsideOut community events to students and teachers.
Writer-in-Residence is a part-time position during the academic year. In-School Residencies generally require 3-6 hours of instruction per week during the school day (8 AM – 3 PM). Citywide Poets After-school Residencies generally require 4-6 hours of instruction per week with most sessions being held after 3 PM. Residencies tend to begin in the late fall (late October-November) and conclude in June. Compensation starts at $55 per hour of instruction.
- Skills, training, and professional experience as a writer. Performance experience appreciated.
- Teaching and/or facilitation experience, and interest in working with diverse populations.
- On-going commitment to strengthening teaching practice through feedback, professional development, and collaboration.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in Arabic or Spanish a plus.
How To Apply
Our roster of Lead Writers-in-Residence is currently full. We are currently hiring Writer-in-Residence Assistants – see details and apply at the application linked below. All materials are kept on file for at least one year. No calls please.
InsideOut is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to equity and inclusion.